The American automobile industry is in a period that most people name the golden period of car manufacturing. The power of cars that stunned highways in the 1970s has now been reborn with modern designs and innovations.
Over the years, all major American car companies have had massive transformations to stand out from the lot. While some had complex ups and downs and stayed, others quit. However, the automobile industry in the US is still the most influential one.
In this article, I will talk about some of the most famous car brands headquartered in the US but ruling worldwide.
15 Best American Car Brands
Many brands manufacture new models every year with some advanced features. Let us have a look at the 15 best American car brands and their famous models of all time.
Jeep is the principal subsidiary of Chrysler and also a very famous car company in the US. The brand was founded in the year 1943 by Kaiser-Jeep. Ever since then, the brand has changed the point of America’s automobile selling market.
The brand has achieved its keep as the ideal American brand for SUVs. Models like the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, and Cherokee are all favorably praised for their off-road capabilities as excellent as their noticeable arrangements.
Jeeps are more spacious than Sedans but are not as bulky as trucks. Ever since the first vehicle was launched after the Second World War, they have evolved as the leaders in the SUV market in America. Its position in the automobile industry is as safe as any car maker on this list.
The current vehicle range comprises only sport utility vehicles—entirely off-road and crossovers, SUVs, other models, and one pick-up truck. Initially, the brand’s range contained pick-ups, small vans, and other roadsters.
Reason to choose Jeep:
- All the models available are very reasonable and do not cost much maintenance.
- It comes with a lot of floor area and also comes with folding seats down for more space.
- They are for all occasions and trips.
- Your car has various features to choose from to make it modern and powerful.
- The engine is very quiet performing and also very powerful with towing capabilities.
Tesla, owned and co-founded by Elon Musk, has brought itself to the fore of the American automobile industry just a few years after its debut. It was founded in 2003 to prove that electric vehicles are quicker and safer when compared to gasoline cars.
Tesla produces the automobiles of the future. This brand has gained worldwide fame in just 19 years. The car model’s stylish structure and unique characteristics have made it one of the well-known luxury car brands.
Today, the brand has come out with many top-premium electric Sedans, which are very quiet operating but relatively expensive. However, The company is trying to make these electric cars more reasonable so that everyone can easily access them.
The rise of Tesla has overlapped with the automobile industry’s transition to electric cars by many other brands. Tesla is one of the most luxurious and top-speed American car brands. It is one of the top 3 fastest accelerating electric speed cars. The brand is out with its new Model X and Model S.
Reasons to choose Tesla:
- No gasoline – the company is known for its electric drivetrain, making people get rid of fuel.
- The cars come with innovative technology making it easy for the users.
- The company had many charging stations throughout America, making it easy to set up their vehicles.
- Significantly less maintenance charge when compared to other gasoline cars.
- The car has a 5-star rating as they prevent rollovers of vehicles in the SUV.
The Ford Motor Company was started in 1903. Henry Ford is the founder of Ford, now the number one and the most prominent American automobile brand in automobile history in America. Having its headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan, the company is known for building and selling cars worldwide.
The founders introduced the industry to many inventions that are being employed today by the automobile industry. The mass manufacturing of automobiles was initially introduced by ford.
Ford has manufactured many vehicles, like trucks, sedans, vans, SUVs, and other luxurious cars. From the car unit Model T, the brand has created many advancements and has provided us with some of the longest-running car models.
For example, the F150, Mustang, Thunderbird, Explorer, and Taurus guide the path. Not only in the US, but Ford has also become the largest car manufacturer in the world.
With its ongoing growth and invention in technology, engineering, and design, it’s no wonder that Ford’s position in the automotive industry is secured as it has the most recognized car brand in the history of cars. It is also the fifth-largest car maker in the world.
Reasons to Choose Ford:
- Excellent Green Engineering is integrated into the interior parts to make them environmentally friendly.
- Innovation and the latest technology are used in their products and designs.
- Indestructible features and engineering come within the budget for all.
- Best pickup trucks and SUVs in the market with all the options are family-friendly.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, an Italian automobile company, founded RAM in 2010. Initially, RAM was only a vehicle under the automobile brand Dodge. However, due to its immense popularity, a company was started under its name to manufacture only pickup trucks.
Thus, it became a separate brand to manufacture trucks in 2010.
Even after many years, RAM trucks are referred to as Dodge RAM. RAM produces only pickup trucks that are of different types and sizes. All their pickup trucks are very classy and are robust performing. They are immensely famous in the United States.
All their pickup trucks have outstanding elements like automatic emergency braking, fast-charging USB ports, blind-spot monitoring, active noise cancelation, and parking sensors, all of which have been added. These features are only seen in sedan cars, but RAM’s pickup truck also provides enjoyable costumes.
Ram is the second most selling pickup truck in the US, after the classic Ford F-Series. So if you want a stylish, full-size pickup truck, then the RAM brand has a lot of models to offer you for all your needs.
Reason to choose RAM:
- RAM pickup trucks come reasonably priced with all the latest features.
- Every released model has an added incentive, and the brand has maintained its consistency.
- Drivability and convenience are the two main features of all their models.
- The pickup truck comes with features not provided by other truck companies and those that can only be enjoyed in a sedan car.
Chevrolet, also known as Chevy, is another top-end automobile brand in the American market. It is also a brand maintained under the General Motors company. The company was started in 1911 when Louis Chevrolet and his mate, the former founder of GM William Durant, joined hands together.
Even after a century, the brand still stands at the forefront of the car manufacturing industry. Chevrolet is also one of the most famous American car brands worldwide. It’s a company known for selling reasonably priced vehicles, which is kept valid for the better portion of the carmaker’s presence.
The brand has continuously introduced many elegant car models for over a century. Though many models have been discontinued, the pickups and Suburban are still well-known among many car users.
Chevrolet is also most well-known for its two models, i.e., the Corvette sports and Camaro muscle car. With those two sitting on the top of a car lineup that even contains the Suburban SUV is the long-lasting nameplate released in 1933.
The brand is also known for its price range, and many working people own a Chevrolet compared to other brands. Work all week, and play all weekend; this is believed to be an American way of life.
Reasons to choose Chevrolet:
- The automobile produces electric cars, which means less pollution and demand for fuel usage.
- Reasonable price range when compared to other car brands.
- Extensive selections of vehicles – pickups, sedans, SUVs, and muscle cars.
- Both the truck and their vehicles have great acceleration and come with quiet engines
Cadillac was founded in 1902 by William Murphy, Henry M. Leland, and Lemuel Bowen. The company is a unit of the American car manufacturer General Motors Company (GM).
The brand has introduced some of the most luxurious cars to date. It is also known for its car’s modern designs and the assortment of features it offers its customers.
The first car manufactured was a two-seat carriage with a 10 hp (7 kW) single-cylinder motor. That is when the brand familiarized the passenger seat in the car and the encircled cabin. It is also recognized for its creative and user-friendly car options that make everything more comfortable.
The brand is also known for its looks, the exterior has fantastic lighting, and the sharp angles give the car an elegant look.
It also offers its line of vehicles an aesthetic color combination for both the exterior and the interior. If you want a vehicle that is very comfy, stylish, and easy to operate, then you should go for a Cadillac.
Reasons to choose Cadillac:
- High-performance outstanding safety attributes make the car well-balanced and a lot safer.
- The braking calipers bring the vehicle immediately to a halt on both wet and dry surfaces.
- All the cars come with powerful performance that attains top speed immediately.
- The cabin in all the models offers plenty of legroom for the passenger and the driver, making it a comfortable ride.
7. Shelby American
The company was founded by a racer named Carroll Shelby in 1962. In 1964, the brand won the World Manufacturers’ Championship championship by beating Ferrari. This is the only American car brand to win the tournament to date.
Shelby American started as a component manufacturer for automobiles. Since 2005, it has been releasing new car models every year. The Shelby GT350 is one of the best-selling cars and is well known for its detailed and beautiful designs.
Its sports vehicles have also won various races, thus creating the cars more demandable. Now, the brand has generated a robust collection of swift Mustangs. The lineup of their vehicles has grown to even trucks.
Reason to choose Shelby American:
- All the models have a high-performance engine with more power for a swift ride.
- The cars have the best styling and designs on the exterior as well as the interior.
- The highest speed can be obtained within the shortest time because of its 10-speed automatic transmission.
8. Hennessey Performance Engineering
Hennessey is not as well-known to many individuals as many American automobile brands. The brand was founded in 1991 by John Hennessey. This brand is considered chiefly a tuner as much as a car manufacturer.
Initially, the company was started as an institution to train performance vehicle tuner mechanics. But eventually, the brand started specializing in tuning high-performance sports cars from many different brands. Hennessey does not have any expensive lineup like other brands on this list.
The Venom F5 and GT are one of the swiftest and most expensive American supercars present in the world. It can approach a top speed of 300 mph.
Besides sedans, they also tune many pickup trucks and other sport utility vehicles. They are also known to work on many luxury cars.
The brand has the most extensive lineup of many high-performance muscle cars, sports cars, supercars, SUVs, and trucks. This brand is preparing to launch a six-wheeler electric vehicle in 2026. It is said to be a high-performance electric car and will have an interior of a private jet.
Reasons to choose Hennessey:
- The car’s design and construction are built with lightweight components for swiftness.
- The vehicles come with five driving modes – F5, Wet, Sport, Dry, and Track.
- The steering wheels come with an airplane ‘YOKE’ to reduce the distractions caused while driving.
- The infotainment system on the car offers a pleasant experience for the users.
Buick is one of the oldest car manufacturers in the US. The brand is also under General Motors (GM), one of the market’s most well-known American automobile brands. The company was founded in 1903 by David Dunbar Buick.
It has been more than a century since its launch, and the company is still famous as a luxury automobile manufacturer. It mainly concentrates on the safety and convenience of passengers and drivers.
When a new model is out, the brand always tries to employ the latest technological advancements in its models. It also uses unique safety advancements to maintain your safety on the highway.
The brand’s cars are very pricey, and thus they are marketed as a luxurious automobile brand, selling premium cars that are positioned farther from GM’s other mainstream brands. However, it is worth spending all the money on its outstanding features and elements they come with.
In 2013, the model Encore became the brand’s most famous and best-selling car. Not only in the US, the brand sells its automobiles in many other countries, where it also has a primary vehicle market.
Reasons to choose Buick:
- The brand focuses on longevity by using high-quality motors and automatic transmissions.
- The SUVs and cars furnish sufficient legroom to provide a comfortable ride.
- Buick has many automobile service stores and many car dealerships across the nation.
- The brand uses high-quality components with select engineering to deliver first-rate products.
Dodge was launched in 1900 by the Dodge brothers – Horace Elgin Dodge and John Francis Dodge, as a unit of Stellaris. Initially, the brand started as a bike and automobile parts supplier. But after some time, the company’s founders shifted it into an automobile manufacturing unit.
Their first car was launched in 1914, and since then, the company has been engaged in manufacturing some of the best cars. The company sold more than 50,000 cars within two years of its launch.
Unfortunately, the sales declined drastically when the Dodge brothers passed away in 1920 due to the Spanish Flu. Then the company was taken over by Dillon, Read & Co and again made the brand famous.
The label also manufactures SUVs and minivans. They also have a sports car model named Dodge Viper, one of the best-selling sports cars. The vehicles also come with a variety of features on the infotainment systems. The functionality and comfort provided by Dodge make it at the top of the automobile market.
Reasons to choose Dodge:
- The engine has a high and mighty performance that instantly makes it quick to its top speed.
- The cars have a 5-star rating for their safety and reliability, even at their highest speed.
- It has extraordinary features that drivers can make sense of when on the road.
- The cabin has a lot of room, supporting seats, and unique features on the infotainment system.
Chrysler, one of the big three car manufacturing brands in the US, was founded in 1925 by Walter Chrysler. It got its name from the founder Walter Chrysler. Initially, there was a transition between the bad and good times. Once the company acquired Dodge in 1921;, things started escalating from that point.
The objective of Chrysler from the very beginning was to construct new cars at an affordable price. Thus along with its luxury and expensive car models, the brand also sells its vehicles at an affordable price.
These luxury cars are very well known for their creativity and modern engineering. Every model in Chrysler comes with its unique features and style that are for various individuals.
Now, the company is a large automobile selling brand in the world. Whether it is a sedan or a minivan, for families or individuals, it has a car that will serve your necessities and take you to every place you want to go.
The company not only manufactures only Chrysler automobiles but also manufactures other cars from companies like Dodge, Jeep, and RAM nameplates.
Reasons to choose Chrysler:
- All the models come with the latest technology and stylish designs.
- Cars and minivans are designed to cater to the passenger’s and the driver’s needs.
- It has outstanding features to provide you with the utmost safety, convenience, and comfort on the road.
- Has a lot of leg space and space for your storage and cargo.
12. General Motor Company
General Motors Company (GMC) was formerly known as the General Motors Truck Company or the GMC Truck & Coach Division. It is one of the top three automobile manufacturers in the US. Founded in 1911 by William C. Durant, the company stands out to date. The company is the automobile manufacturer General Motors (GM).
In the past, the brand manufactured ambulances, fire trucks, military vehicles, heavy-duty trucks, transit buses, motorhomes, and medium-duty trucks.
Now the brand mainly concentrates on manufacturing trucks and other utility lineups of cars. It also makes SUVs, vans, and light-duty actual pickup trucks and serves a premium market.
The brand has evolved as an example for numerous other manufacturing automobile companies to manufacture affordable terrains and SUVs. Nevertheless, it does not manufacture standard cars. Despite that, GMC became the most popular car manufacturing company worldwide.
Recently the brand announced its return of the Hummer nameplate. The lineup contains two different models, one is an electric truck, and another one is an SUV.
Reason to choose General Motors Company:
- The brand has a variety of vehicles to offer you. Be it an SUV, truck, or commercial vehicle.
- The trucks have powerful performance engines and excellent towing capacity.
- The latest tech innovation is the technology used in the infotainment system and under the hood.
- The vehicles never compromise safety and come with many safety features.
- Luxury automobiles at a very reasonable price for all kinds of needs.
Lincoln, formerly known as The Lincoln Motor Company, was founded in 1917 by Henry M. Leland. This luxury automobile is a unit of the American automobile manufacturing company Ford; in 1922, Ford took it over. The company was named after former American President Abraham Lincoln.
The brand is known for its luxury vehicles, which have powerful performance and are aesthetically attractive vehicles among famous brands. It also manufactures SUVs and crossovers.
All the cars have many different kinds of models to choose from. It also produces other types of vehicles like Limousines and luxury vehicles.
Recently the brand has also started manufacturing Aviator mid-size SUV, which comes in a hybrid-electric system. The hybrid car has a powerful engine with the best fuel economy. All Lincoln models give you fantastic luxury at an affordable price.
Reason to Choose Lincoln:
- The brand is known for providing its models at affordable prices for all types of customers.
- The black label lets its customers customize the car to fit their personal needs.
- All the models have four-star or five-star ratings for their safety features.
- The recent hybrid car release is an inexpensive amenity with exceptional fuel economy.
- Lincoln is known for its classical style that gives its vehicles a retro look.
14. American Motors General
AM General is a heavy vehicle that American Motors Corporation founded in 1971. Anyone looking for a car that is like a heavy-duty truck will know about this brand. Initially, in the company’s early days, the brand used to manufacture transit buses.
However, now the company produces many luxurious and elegant trucks. This is why AM General is still one of the famous car labels for commercial automobiles.
The Hummer model is one of the most famous and best-selling models. However, this does not indicate the other vehicles are not renowned.
The Humvee truck model became famous due to its rugged and tough exterior build. Though the vehicles look very bulky, they are light-weighted and with more power. These trucks are some of the most unshakable military trucks you will see.
Reason to choose American Motors General:
- All the models in the brand are light tactical trucks with more additional power.
- The trucks have a higher gross weight, giving smoother handling and much security.
- It has enhanced off-road mobility, providing a higher payload capability and improved stopping capacity.
- The latest innovative materials and techniques are always used to increase the trucks’ performance.
Founded in 2007 by Bernard Tse and Sam Weng, the company has reached the highest position within a short period. The brand aims to build sustainable automobiles, but they tend to be expensive.
Though the company has been only for a few years, it gained fame through its innovative techniques of manufacturing automobiles. The recently released Lucid Air is a premium luxury car that is entirely electric.
The high and mighty performance of the brand’s models has won the championship for the Motor Trend’s Car of the Year Award. Producing such good cars caused the brand to be known as USA’s ‘next great thing.’
Reasons to choose Lucid:
- The price is not affordable but is suitable for a luxury electric car.
- The batteries in the electric vehicle can travel up to 520 miles on a full charge.
- The batteries are also fast-charging – only 25 minutes of charging for 300 miles.
- The technology in the infotainment system is of high technology that has its distinct features
- The ideal blend of luxury and power when driving at top speed.
Here you go with the list of the best car brands in the American automobile industry.
So now, if you are preparing to get a car, you know your choices. But, there is a crucial choice: which brand suits you?
I hope this article will come in handy for you to choose the right car brand that is suitable to your requirements.